Improving The Look Of Your Dorm On A Budget
Aug 16 2013
Sure, you can’t wait to live it up, college co-ed style. But who knew that a dorm, with its putty colored walls and coffee-stained beige carpet could be so, well, boring.
With a little imagination and a wallet-friendly budget, check out these ideas to liven up your space. Create a room that feels like home (in a good way) and get ready to love your new home.
by Brandon Jolley
- Nothing says home like a good night’s sleep: With late night pizza and movies, and all-night study sessions, catching up on shut-eye is more important than ever. Look for a thick mattress topper that has memory foam or even down feathers for the best protection against rock-hard bed syndrome.
- Slip on the good sheets: Don’t skimp when it comes to bedding. Comfortable sheets are important, and you don’t have to settle for rough sheets just because you’re in a dorm bed. Now is the perfect time to find quality sheets at white-sale prices, just in time for move in. And yes, you can find great sheets in twin extra long.
- Let the sun shine in, but only when you want it to: If you’ve ever relished a Saturday morning sleep-in, but instead woke up with the sun, then you know the importance of good window coverings. Don’t settle for bent, beige metal blinds. Blinds Chalet has you covered, whether it’s light and noise filtering blinds, or black out roller shades. And when it comes to creating a cool dorm, there’s no greater statement than a double cell shade in Pink Flamingo, or a light filtering roller shade in classic denim. Blinds chalet even has officially licensed collegiate window shades – from Stanford to Penn State, and everything in between, you’ll have the most-talked-about room on campus.
- Bring on the color: Can’t find the right color? From picture frames to desk chairs to bookshelves, paint is the ugly dorm’s best friend. You can’t paint the walls and dorm furniture, but you can paint everything else. Try spray paint in emerald or tangerine to bring brilliant color to your space. Or muted shades of grays and yellows for a peaceful atmosphere – perfect for absorbing a monster classic or cramming for the chem test.
- A little love for the rug: Surely you love grungy beige carpet. No? The best thing to do with an ugly rug is cover it. Find a large, light colored throw rug at your favorite discount or thrift store and, you guessed it, break out the paint. Paint, brush and tape are all you need to create a fun chevron patterned floor covering. Find an easy on-line tutorial and make one or several. Make sofa cushions to match.
- Friends and family forever: You’re going to miss mom and dad, but most of all you’re going to miss your cat? A do-it-yourself picture swag is all you need to keep loved ones and even annoying little brothers near you all year long. Grab your favorite ribbon and a bag of clothes pins from your nearest craft store. Decorate clothespins with glitter, buttons, scrabble tiles or seashells, then pin away. Make mom and dad happy by hanging pictures of the fam and make your roommates jealous with your crafting genius.
Bookmark/Share this page: